Friday, July 18, 2014

Sites: Alaska! Denali, Seward and Anchorage - June 2014

We recently traveled to Alaska - I for work, my honey for fun. So I added a few days onto my work excursion so together, we could visit and enjoy the many beautiful things Alaska has to offer. Let me tell you, if you've never been to Alaska - GO! I will be bold enough to say, it's probably the most beautiful place on earth.

We started the trip with a visit to Seward where we embarked on a Halibut fishing adventure. The drive from Anchorage to Seward is one of the most beautiful drives I have been on. It makes you feel like you're on the edge of the world; the mountains and seas never end. It was amazing.

The most exciting part of the trip for me, was buying these bad ass rain overalls… I have literally wanted these forever!


I say this was the most exciting part, because right after this next picture was taken - I was bent over the edge of the boat… sea sick. On the upside, my honey caught some amazing fish and had the time of his life. So I choose to remember the trip looking like this:




Next, we went exploring around Anchorage and found a fun little hiking spot. We hiked for only a little bit after we realized neither of us knew what to do if we ran into a bear… but we fit in some pictures while enjoying the scenery… bear free.




The last few days of our trip, we drove up to Denali National Park. On the drive up, we were amazed at the sight of Mt. McKinley (a.k.a. Denali)  which we found out later, we were very lucky to see - only about 30% of visitors actually see the mountain. We saw it 2 days in a row which was amazing!

(not the best picture of us, but the mountain is gorgeous!)

We found a little friend along the way… she was beautiful!


Our hotel was in the middle of the mountain and I accidentally booked us a private cabin, which turned out to be really neat… my honey thought we were 'high rollers' which made the whole experience highly amusing. One day I might be brave enough to post the hilarious video he took, MTV Cribs style.


We drove around the small town and found this really neat brewery called the 49th State which had the most amazing Fish and Chips, made with fresh Alaskan Halibut. They also had pretty awesome beer. We ended up eating or having a beer here every night… we're so adventurous!




The next day we woke up early to do the 13 hour bus tour of Denali. It was really cool! We saw 8 or 9 bears (including some adorable baby cubs), a wolf, elk, moose and other Alaskan wildlife. Here are some pics from our tour...

We love the bus in this photo (driving down the path - about ½ way up), it shows how amazingly huge and vast Denali is.


having a little fun at the rest stop



20 hours and 37 minutes of sunlight is one of the most bizarre things we experienced in Alaska - it NEVER.GETS.DARK it's the weirdest thing ever.




We had an amazing time and can't wait to go back. This is another chapter in our adventure book and we're looking forward to sharing more on our online journal. BTW we're getting married - engaged on February 3, 2014. I'm excited to share all my ideas and our journey to the alter for our ultimate adventure - being husband and wife.


"As often as possible, go someplace you’ve never been before. Experience new places and new things. You might find yourself with someone or somewhere that makes you much happier than your previous circumstance. The Earth is so vast with unique and beautiful places, why wouldn’t you want to go explore them?"  - Dalai Lama

- L

No comments:

Post a Comment