Sunday, February 17, 2013

Gettin' my Run on...


Two years ago, my honey moved to a different state for school. After he moved, I decided that I needed to find something to do to keep myself active and meet some new people. I found this amazing program called Borgess Run Camp. Let me tell you, waking up at 7 am on my Saturday to run in the snow was not my ideal hobby... but I gave it a 'whirl' and I'm so glad I did! I started with the 5K training, met some amazing people and ran my first 5K race in May 2011. Running 5Ks are a blast!

So this year, my honey is moved back home and we decided to train together for a half-marathon... yes, a half-marathon... 13.1 miles... 2+ hours of running straight (insert crazy face now).



We started training in late fall/early winter and started run camp in February. On the first weekend run, Michigan was gifted with one of the only snow falls we got all season... it was 9 degrees... but to my surprise over 1,000 "crazy/awesome" people showed up to run. Can you imagine? WOW!

We're now in our 3rd week, and every run we do amazes me. I have never been a big runner, but now every Saturday is my longest run ever, and there's something special and rewarding about that. It's just amazing to be reminded that if you have the desire, drive and motivation to so something, and an awesome partner to share it with - you can do anything. I never would have thought that I could do a 7 mile run without dying as soon as I was finished... but I did! So this is what is consuming my life now, and I hope it always does.




No comments:

Post a Comment